[OM] Storm Clouds - Iowa

Subject: [OM] Storm Clouds - Iowa
From: "Bob Benson" <bob.benson91@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 17:34:17 -0500
Re:  Ken's comments about the forecasting of severe storms being so accurate
- three days out .

We'd lived in Mobile AL for nine years (thru Katrina) and then moved to
Wichita . and we've said that we prefer Wichita because, with hurricanes,
you get to sit and watch for days/weeks at a time, wondering about the
specific impact on you.  It got nerve racking, for example, watching Katrina
where initial forecasts had landfall much further east (in FLA) and, then,
day by day, the forecast shifted west.  Just a year after Ivan, which was
very similar,  I recall sitting at the television with Ivan bearing down
directly on us, when just before the power went out, we saw a small jog in
the storm center as it then went over to Pensacola.  So, we have said, isn't
Kansas better:  the tornados pop up, come, and go very quickly, and appear
to impact far fewer people.

So, now, it seems that the forecasting of severe storms is better, giving us
a lot more time to contemplate and wait.  Not sure this is good.  Allows
local TV news to dominate the airwaves for days at a time, with catastrophic
forecasts for every string of storms.   Accuracy is good:  news broadcasting
less so in terms of the breadth of coverage (I'm not sure I am so interested
in storm coverage in, say, western Nebraska), subjecting all of us to the
extreme pomp and ceremony.

So it's not clear to me that living with this new capability of forecasting,
similar to Alabama in time coverage, is good.  While the news drama may be
better,  I won't be doing anything about it until the last hour anyway.

Bob