[OM] Tragedy

Subject: [OM] Tragedy
From: "Bob Benson" <bob.benson91@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 09:53:22 -0500
Interesting . someone from outside the USA focusing on the risk of coming
here.  It's probably not just the news cycle coverage of events,  but what
passes for TV entertainment as well.

But really . would I think I'm safer, say, in Netherlands? Or UK?  Or Paris?
Or Milano?  Norway or Denmark (given recent events.)?  I recently noted a
sign in a Holiday Inn in Eindhoven warning patrons to not walk to the center
city, much too dangerous.  I know that there are areas of Tilburg (which I
visit regularly) I surely wouldn't go based on recommendations of locals.
My good friends there suggest it is a mistake to wander in more picturesque
areas of Amsterdam festooned with cameras.  A while ago the Economist ran a
story about three countries: UK, Netherlands, and USA,  ranking them in
order of violent crime (UK, N, USA) and burglary (N, UK, USA) - the ranking
based on incidents per 100000 citizens.  Paris certainly has its interesting
public safety areas and, given recent changes in their terrorism/policing
policies,  would have its challenges.  Rio?  South Africa?  Mexico City
(where I often work)?  Really requires common sense there in dealing with
everyone including the police.

Reality in my view is that every largish city has its problems of violence
and policing somewhere.  And perhaps the one thing the USA has more than
others is the virulent 24/7 news cycle pretty much unfettered by good sense.
I suspect that news coverage elsewhere does not play up every single event
that may occur nationwide, which tends to overly dramatize the issues .
considering this is a country of 330 million spread across 3 million square
miles, the news reporting sometimes feels like everything that happens is in
my backyard.  But it isn't.

So taking care anywhere is of course important.  But concluding that it's
totally unsafe and risky everywhere here is not correct.  When people ask me
about safety in Mexico City (since I'm so often there), I remark, well,
there are areas in Wichita I wouldn't go either.  My point is applying
common sense no matter where one is.

BB