Re: [OM] Jumping Mouse

Subject: Re: [OM] Jumping Mouse
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2015 21:33:37 -0400
In the old days mice had a roller ball on the bottom which made contact with X & Y rollers at 90 degrees to each other. The rollers and ball would collect lint and cause erratic behavior. It was necessary once in a while to open a plate on the bottom to remove the ball and the debris inside behind it.

AFAIK, today's mice are all optical. There's a small optical window on the bottom that emits an infrared beam. I've never had a problem with an optical mouse but it seems to me that dust/debris could also collect in the recess on the bottom that contains the optical window. Sliding the mouse across a surface could jiggle the debris and, I suppose, cause unpredictable mouse behavior.

Since it's a wired mouse I suppose you could also have a bad electrical connection on the wire either at the USB connector or inside the mouse. Hold the mouse still and see if jiggling the wire on either end causes any motion. It shouldn't.

If you can't find anything obvious give the wired mouse back to whomever you bought it from. I recommend you replace it with an inexpensive Logitech M310 wireless mouse <http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=logitech%20M310> I have 4 of them and they all work fine and have excellent battery life (one AA battery).

Chuck Norcutt