Re: [OM] Interesting article of resolution and lack thereof

Subject: Re: [OM] Interesting article of resolution and lack thereof
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 11:36:44 -0700
On 5/20/2015 4:08 AM, Piers Hemy wrote:
Not exactly new, but a clear illustration of the issue (just that, an issue,
not a problem).

https://www.onlandscape.co.uk/2010/11/the-mysterious-case-of-the-missing-berries-and-other-stories/

I posted this comment:

"Are you aware of the high def mode of the Olympus E-M5 II?

In addition to moving the sensor 'between' pixels for higher resolution, it moves them so that each sensel (pixel, photosite) location is separately sensed for each color.

This is functionally the same as Foveon, with no demosaicing, and no AA filter. The results in finely detailed color subjects can be spectacular, as the samples in the ImagingResource test show.

Having compared sample Raw files from DPReview and IR between the E-M5 II and Nikon D750 and D800, I know it would have nicely bettered the Canon and suspect it would at least equal the film in the test above.

I think in the comment above, you are right about lack of an AA filter on a high rez sensor. The D800 has terrible mosaicing on repeating fine detail. I've not run into a problem with the E-M5 II in normal resolution, as that's only 16 MB. It can't have an AA filter, as it would ruin the high rez mode.

Only practical with tripod and static subjects as yet. The next OMD, probably E-M1 II, is said to do the same thing in 1/60 sec."

Replicatory Moose