Re: [OM] IMGS: Baracoa, + Banding?

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGS: Baracoa, + Banding?
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 17:32:01 -0400
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
A. D. C. Moose

<<I am not convinced that would correct this particular problem. The analog to
<<digital math is invariant.

<<If underexposure forces lower mid tones down into the bottom of the digital
barrel, it is inevitably quantized very crudely, with negative repercussions if
it is then pulled up in post.

Quantization errors will still rear their ugly head, but much less than one
might think for these Sony sensors and current raw file handling  See:

http://m.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d750/14

This applies less to Canyon and Leica--latter from what I've read.

Pixel peepers on FM picked up on this very early and DPR several months
later--much faster than the glacial appreciation at DPR of the importance of
shutter shock.  DPR as part of the Noise series is supposed to have a
article on "ISO Invariance" that may shed more light on this.
If important details are in the highlights, this has substantial impolications
as to how best pick the ISO/exposure.  The in cam Jpegs to view the image could
be quite dark however.

Photon counter, Mike
PS.   Have a great trip