Re: [OM] What to Pack

Subject: Re: [OM] What to Pack
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 07:13:50 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>There are plenty of comparisons on the web of results from the MM and
>conversions from color.  Here is what a review of the new Monochrom says:
>
>The new *Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246)* was launched in April, just eight
>months after the release of the Leica M-P (Typ 240), and has an identical
>body shape to that camera. Both feature the same Leica-developed
>24-million-pixel, full-frame CMOS sensor which does not use an optical
>low-pass filter. However, the M Monochrom’s sensor doesn’t have a colour
>filter array (CFA) either. The removal of these two filters has a positive
>effect on image quality, resulting in sharper images, better dynamic range,
>better high ISO performance and no colour noise artefacts.

     I liked the idea of a digital camera dedicated to monochrome from the very
beginning.  I would like to know how it compares to film B&W with Wratten
filters as I have had to jump through a number of hoops to get B&W film
performance with the E-500/510.  I ended up taking JPG RAW on the E-500 (not
available on later models), adding the Wratten filter(s) with FilterSim, then
converting to B&W filmstock with DxO FilmPack.

>Read more at
>http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/reviews/compactsystemcameras/leica-m-monochrom-typ-246-review#vlzsoiFWuW1MktYm.99
>

>Tina
>
>On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 12:54 AM, ChrisB <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I must confess, John, that something similar went through my mind.  Why
>> are there two 35s and two 50s, for instance?
>>
>> And I’d love to know if the Monochrom is any better than another Leica
>> digital with a choice of colour and monochrome.
>>
>> Chris
>>
>> > On 28 May 15, at 00:08, John Hudson <OM4T@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> >
>> > If the list was whittled down to only one camera body and only one lens
>> what would the combo be ? Assume the necessary quantity of batteries and
>> chargers to satisfy the one camera/ one lens combo.
>> >
>> > Having to travel with Leica's almost entire production output seems to
>> me to be going overboard.
>>
>> --

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson