Re: [OM] Sailplane Instruments - for Chris B.

Subject: Re: [OM] Sailplane Instruments - for Chris B.
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2015 08:53:37 -0500
Chris,
You can learn about the Winter Variometer via a Google Search. They are made in Germany, in several forms. If I understand correctly, one side of the internal aneroid is vented to static pressure directly and the other is vented through a bottle of a specified size. This means that one side is damped, while the other reacts quickly, providing a needle indication of the change in pressure.

I used the same principle to locate the shock wave position in the diffuser of a large supersonic wind tunnel. We designed and installed a small "tank" that contained a sensitive pressure transducer, with one side of the transducer connected directly to a static orifice in the diffuser wall, and the other side vented to the tank, which was itself vented to a diffuser wall orifice. We placed a row of these devices down one side of the diffuser, and connected them to a display that reacted to the pressure difference measured by each device. Once flow was established, the signals ahead of the shock were steady, while those downstream were very active. We could actually observe the shock movement during the process of establishing supersonic flow in the test section.

Too much said about another life...........................

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA