Re: [OM] Of interest perhaps to Indiana Barker and other fliers

Subject: Re: [OM] Of interest perhaps to Indiana Barker and other fliers
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2015 14:31:27 -0500
Chris,
I have no data on the F-16, but the under-the-nose location of the inlet probably gives them a much better airflow during approach. Just my 2 cents.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA

On 5/31/2015 12:53 PM, Chris Trask wrote:
Chris, as soon as I hit "send" I recalled that we also tested the F-15
inlet/engine combination.  That one is still flying, of course.  I was
not as actively involved with that one.

      ChrisB just brought up the F-104 "Widow Maker", which also had the variable inlet
half-cones.  The West Germans used those out here at Luke AFB when I moved here in 1979.  They
called it the "Widow Maker" as the engine would go into a compressor stall at high angles
of attack on final approach.  It would spin on it's axis due to the short wings, and if you tried
to bail out you had a 50% chance of becoming a spelunker.

      It would be interesting to know how the F-16 inlet overcomes the
high-speed low intake pressure.

Chris

      - Hunter S. Thompson