Re: [OM] Paul's PAW - First Bloom

Subject: Re: [OM] Paul's PAW - First Bloom
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2015 22:07:18 -0700
Hi Moose,

I made no assumption, one way or the other, but curious if Oly pulled off
something Sony was unable or had no desire to do

If this was a ground up design on Sony's part, that aspect may have been simply beyond was was practical and.or economical to do. Time and cost deadlines are real. Do you think the engineers wasted to release the A7 when it was time for other reasons?

Oly's been at this quite a long time.

despite touting their platform for alt lens use.

You appear to be assuming here that what engineering would claim and what
marketing says are in some way related. :-)

I would have thought if Oly put some engineering musle to make all 5 axes work
for alt lens macro, they might advertise that fact.

I don't think they are particularly interested is selling bodies for lenses they don't sell any more than the market pushes on them. With a rather full line of lenses to sell, why would they encourage buyers to adapt others? Sony has always had a lens coverage problem for their mirrorless bodies.

Perhaps  it really wasn't much work. I did ping them, but don't know if they
will provide a useful answer. It just doesn't seem like something  with which
Oly would bother .Oly does seem to maximise their advantages---they do report
focusing distance in exif where Panny does not ---by using focusing stepper
motor data, so they can get focusng distance easily enough with native lenses
at least---kudos to them.
http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=52938

I did view your comparative images. The IS is indeed very good on the EM-5II
but I have also seen you pull off sharp long FL shots at SS where you had no
business getting such results.

[Moose blushes - while holding very, very still.]

I have observed you stabilising the cam etc leaning agianst a tree etc.

Use what's available. :-)

I consider you an outlier when it comes to IS testing, a most excellent one,
but an outlier nonetheless.

Well, no artificial supports for these. The flowers were in the muddy edge of a pond. I found stepping and balancing to get the angles, without getting shoes full of mud, or falling in, was not easy. I almost lost my balance more than once. Hardly ideal hand holding territory.

Only Standardly stable, Mike

Marginally Stable Moose