Re: [OM] Sailplane Instruments - for Chris B.

Subject: Re: [OM] Sailplane Instruments - for Chris B.
From: ChrisB <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2015 15:16:56 +0100
Jim

Thanks, I’ll look it up.  There’s no point in wasting all your knowledge and
experience, surely?

I didn’t know the name, “variometer”, but that device sounds like a VSI’s
function, effectively.  It compares, mechanically, the ambient pressure now and
that some seconds ago; it’s a lag instrument.  I teach my students not to use
it when trying to assess whether or not they are flying level.  The altimeter
(or even air speed) gives a more immediate indication of climb or descent.

I use the VSI only when established on an instrument approach.

Chris