[OM] Bob started it! [was Scottish Bluebells]

Subject: [OM] Bob started it! [was Scottish Bluebells]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2015 23:00:29 -0700
On 5/31/2015 1:45 PM, Bob Whitmire wrote:
I’m not a flower taker,

Ah, but I am, and Mike @ TOP has given me the rationales I need to continue. :-) <http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2015/06/three-good-ways-to-avoid-clich%C3%A9s.html>

I offer a few from our garden Sun. and Tues.
<http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=17395>

There IS a fly in the ointment, but you have to take a look to see it. :-)

The accompanying rant goes like this.

I see over and over lovely flower subjects/compositions taken in bright light with highlights blown badly enough that detail is lost and colors go off.

I see over and over lovely flower subjects/compositions taken in open shade, overcast, etc. Often with the comment how the soft light made it possible to get the shot that wouldn't be possible in direct sun.

People rattle on about how one day we'll have cameras with the DR to capture
such subjects.

The trouble with all that is that things look different in different light. Flowers ever so subtly captured in soft light are bloodless, like a date with your maiden aunt.* Flowers seen in sun are brazen, passionate, exciting. That's what I want to capture!

And it's just not that difficult. Those above were all taken with a tiny sensor P&S. Yet, no blown highlights, with bright, 'real' colors. And some of the feeling of seeing them in person lingers in the images.

As with so much of photography, technique is as of more important than
equipment.

Moose D'Opinion

* Assuming her name isn't Mame. ;-)