Re: [OM] AV Herald news story - Bee Speed

Subject: Re: [OM] AV Herald news story - Bee Speed
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2015 08:09:06 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>A Flybe de Havilland Dash 8-400, registration G-ECOE performing flight
>BE-384 from Southampton,EN (UK) to Dublin (Ireland), was climbing out
>of Southampton when the crew stopped the climb at 6000 feet reporting
>unreliable airspeeds. The aircraft returned to Southampton for a safe
>landing about 20 minutes after departure.
>
>Maintenance found a bee had chosen to fly FlyBe within a pitot tube.
>The bee, nick-named FlyBee, was convinced to leave and the aircraft
>was able to depart again reaching Dublin with a delay of 90 minutes.
>
>The airline reported the aircraft returned to Southampton due to a
>suspected technical issue. Upon examination maintenance found a bee
>lodged into an item of instrumentation on the outside of the aircraft.

     In a similar experience, I was flying a C-130E from Harrisburg to Erie to
do practice approaches.  It was January, and we passed through a layer of dense
clouds, which caused ice to form on the nose.  When the ice broke loose, it
jammed both pitot tubes, and it took a couple of minutes for the heaters to
work it loose.  In the meantime, we had no airspeed indication so we just
maintained torque and rate of climb.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson