Re: [OM] I ♥︎ My American Car

Subject: Re: [OM] I ♥︎ My American Car
From: Charles Geilfuss <charles.geilfuss@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2015 12:19:02 -0400
  Your point is well taken regarding that odd marriage between Chrysler and
Mercedes, and I'm sure you are correct about Mercedes parts finding their
way into Chrysler vehicles (and very likely the reverse made a lot of
Germans cringe), but I doubt that was the case for Dodge trucks. Back in
the days when I piddled with cars and trucks, I don't recall seeing a lot
of shared parts between pickup trucks and their same make sedan kin. But
that was a long time ago and the automobile market is now truly global. All
of the major makes manufacture around the globe and source parts from all
over. It is interesting to browse the new car lots and read the percentage
figures for the parts. Why even in little ole South Carolina we have had
BMW making vehicles in the upstate, Mercedes makes their Sprinter vans in
North Charleston and it was just announced that Volvo is set to break
ground on a half billion dollar assembly plant not far from here. Volvo
will be interesting to follow. As they have moved more upscale to compete
with the German makes, their sales in the US have tailed off considerably.
  Getting back to ChrisB's observation, looks are in the eye of the
beholder. If you are not used to seeing pickups, their appearance, no
matter how you gussy them up, is a bit jarring. Too heavy in the front, too
high, etc.My guess is they are rarely seen over the pond. Many years ago I
worked in Germany. I don't think I saw one P'up the whole time I was there.
As for modern sedans, they have far greater functionality than the past,
and as form follows function they are also very uniform in appearance. I
was struck by this over the weekend. We had gone downtown to see a
performance and while leaving the parking garage walked past a beautifully
restored 1968 Buick Skylark. The styling is so different than anything
around now. My kids just stared at it.

Ramble over,
Charlie