Re: [OM] Scotland 2015

Subject: Re: [OM] Scotland 2015
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 20:17:13 +0100
You are half right, Philippe ... and half wrong. Yes, you need to hear the
genitive, but you hear what is spoken, not what is written, and you know
very well how rigidly English keeps to regular pronunciation rules. Not at
all!

The way I was taught is that if the nominative singular noun ends in "s",
the genitive singular should not be written with "s" added after the
apostrophe, even though it may be pronounced as if so. And since my name
falls into that category, the rule was learned very well.

St James's Park is the regal exception - Google the other parks in the UK
named for the saint, and you will find out!

Piers