Re: [OM] Scotland 2015 - Piers

Subject: Re: [OM] Scotland 2015 - Piers
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 09:41:36 +0100
I am sure you are happy to "say", but not happy to write that, Chris!

However, I have been consulting the oracles. No, not the Chicago Manual of
Style (since when has Chicago been stylish, pray tell?).

The Guardian style guide at
http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-files/Guardian/documents/2004/07/15/stylegui
depdfjuly2004.pdf favours Piers's without clarification, which is
disappointing.

SO it's off to Brussels for the European Commission Directorate-General for
Translation English Style Guide  at
http://ec.europa.eu/translation/english/guidelines/documents/styleguide_engl
ish_dgt_en.pdf which ought to be relied upon for a reasoned judgment. It
also favours Piers's (drat!) but has some useful justification for my (our)
preference:

" The -s after terminal s’ used to be omitted in written English, but this
is now done only in classical and biblical names, e.g. Socrates’ philosophy,
Xerxes’ fleet. " which means Piers's but Jesus' (half right and half wrong
again).

So, we are classicists at heart, and incorrect per modern idiom - I think
you will be happy with that condemnation?

Piers