Re: [OM] Fuji X Pro1

Subject: Re: [OM] Fuji X Pro1
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 08:55:47 -0400
My first concern was that the camera might be like the OMs which have a -2 diopter correction built into the viewfinder. When buying an OM branded correction lens you purchase what is labeled for your prescription. For example, if your prescription is +2 diopters, the OM lens will be labeled +2 but its actual optical power will be +4. The +4 along with the -2 of the viewfinder will result in +2 final correction.

Although Nikon 19mm correction lenses will fit the X-Pro1, the info I found on the web says that old Nikon bodies actually have a -1 built-in correction. Therefore, I suspect (but do not know) that Nikon diopter correction lenses are probably like OM correction lenses and a lens labeled as +2 is probably actually +3.

The X-Pro1 owner's manual says on page 98 "COSINA Diopter adjustment lenses are recommended for this camera." Doing a Google search with [ cosina diopter adjustment lenses price ] returned a lot of info rich sources including the tip about Nikon correction lenses above.

Some of the best came from TOP <http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2012/10/diopters-for-the-fuji-x-pro1.html> which says the X-Pro1 does not have any built-in correction in the viewfinder. That means the correction lens you should use is exactly the same power as your prescription. I quote
Jim Gamblin: "B&H has the Fuji diopters for $14.95. also Voigtlander diopters will worko on the Fuji X-Pro1, maybe a little higher priced. [Stephen Gandy sells those—thanks to Bill Lewis for that. —Ed.] Look for 19mm thread. Unlike the Nikon diopters, buy the others to match your perscription. After putting a +2 (just like my reading glasses) on my X-Pro1 it felt like a new camera—worth the price and effort."

To verify that this is correct just use your own reading glasses. If you wear bifocals and don't have simple reading glasses just go to you local chemist or other source of low cost reading glasses and try them out with the camera. Whatever power marked on the reading glasses that work best is the power you need. You just need to make sure that the marked correction is the true correction, or, if buying a Nikon branded correction lens, that you order your prescription +1.

Chuck Norcutt