Re: [OM] Well, Happy Thursday to Me.

Subject: Re: [OM] Well, Happy Thursday to Me.
From: Scott Gomez <sgomez.baja@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2015 16:27:11 +0000
The almost complete lack of knowledge and understanding on the part of a
majority of corporate managers of the value of experience in performance of
IT jobs is mind-boggling. It's distressingly common to hear comments about
how someone's teenage son or daughter, or uncle Bill, or the kid down the
street, could do the same job as someone who has invested thousands of
hours in education and training in IT. It's rare that IT line personnel
receive much in the way of any support or backing within the company,
unless that company is a directly IT oriented business. The department is
often effectively invisible unless/until something critical breaks.

Many, many organizations fail to understand that truly integrating IT
within the organizations requires a commitment to lots of training of
non-IT staff and a willingness to measure the performance of non-IT
personnel on their ability with, understanding of, and use of the systems
deployed. Additionally, there's a distinct tendency to assume that IT folks
are effectively "interchangeable parts", and that laying off experienced
(and more highly paid) personnel is therefore a good idea. What they fail
to realize is that it's often those very experienced IT support personnel
who are actually providing the expertise that enables business process to
be effective even with seriously under-trained or inexperienced non-IT
staff. They then wonder why the business suffers when what they have
accomplished is a "corporate lobotomy".

On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 11:07 PM ChrisB <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Nicely put, Bob.
>
> Chris
>
> > On 19 Jun 15, at 21:14, Bob Whitmire <fujixbob@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Aye, that's true enough. When I'm being flip (but not really) I date our
> > employment woes back to the day when Personnel departments became Human
> > Resources. Personnel still refers to actual human beings. By making human
> > an adjective in front of resources, we turn people into exploitable
> > materials.
>
> --
>
> --
---