Re: [OM] One Big Ass Mistake America

Subject: Re: [OM] One Big Ass Mistake America
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2015 15:16:37 -0700
On 6/21/2015 2:41 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
Moose, I have absolutely no idea what point you were trying to make.

All right, if you care enough to mention it ...

Bob proposed this flag as a sort of universal symbol: "You don't have to have roots in Dixie to display the Confederate flag as a symbol of ... "

He offered as an example: "I see them up here from time to time."

I suggested that the universe in which that flag has mind and heart space as an important symbol may be smaller than he imagines from within it, certainly including not only the South, but the Northern and other states that were involved in the conflagration - but not the far West.

Growing up on the far Left Coast, I was simply unaware of all the baggage associated with it. I knew of it only as the flag of one side in a war that had happened in a time and place far removed from the world in which I lived. We don't live in a landscape littered with battlefields, graveyards and monuments, literal, emotional or in our cultural heritage.

Although I know a great deal more now, I have to admit that the War Between the States still seems as remote to me emotionally as the Revolutionary War. Important, but history, not living energy. I once spent some time with a true Daughter of the South walking around the site of the battle for Lookout Mountain and looking out at the ridges and such marking parts of various battles. Our emotional connections to all that were very different. I didn't want to let on how much so, and possibly get kicked out of her bed. ;-)

Innocent Moose