Re: [OM] One Big Ass Mistake America

Subject: Re: [OM] One Big Ass Mistake America
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 11:21:10 -0500
On 6/21/15 10:13 : , Ken Norton wrote:
We have pretty short memories. The previous president was also treated
pretty poorly. However, we tend to dismiss that because he deserved
it. <snark>

There has been a cultural shift over the past 20 years or so that has
made display of the Confederate Flag less acceptable. We can try to
force the issue, but I think it's a situation where it is dying away
on its own. There comes a point where anybody displaying that flag
isn't doing it out of ignorance or pride, but because it's a blatant
message.

Not sure if we're there quite yet, but in a few more years it will be
a non-issue.

Trying to force the issue is just going to exasperate old sectionalism
issues that date back to the founding of the country.

If you want to change a culture, you have to change the narrative.

AG
I'll agree with most of that, but I still don't remember the sheer volume and intensity of pure hatred towards Bush. Maybe it's because social media wasn't as prevalent back then. I also don't remember a large number of members of Congress publicly stating that their only mission is to guarantee that everything the President does fails. Or contacting foreign heads of state to say, "Whatever you agree to do with Dubya, might as well not do it because the minute he's out of office, we're going to nuke your asses".

I truly hope we are on the track towards improvement.