Re: [OM] IMG: celestial show

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: celestial show
From: Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 01:11:05 -0700
There is another phenomenon known by the archaic term "dodging," now known as brightening with masks. I must confess to doing it. I was trying to preserve some texture in the moon, and when I did, Jupiter became so dim that it could hardly be seen in the photo. When you have teeny objects of such diverse brighness, defined by only a few pixels each, it is difficult to get them all looking like they looked to the eye in a single exposure. Sorry if I overdid it. Jupiter actually appeared a little smaller and quite a bit dimmer than Venus.

In this view:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/18425870393/in/dateposted-public/lightbox/>
I got the relationship between the two planets better, at the expense of grossly overexposing the moon. We won't even talk about the trees, but I kinda like the way this turned out, like a charcoal drawing. Even if it's Banding City. :-)

This one, taken the next night, shows the relationship better, but Jupiter is still a bit brighter than in reality. The planets are resolving to one, two or three pixels
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/19040978812/in/dateposted-public/lightbox/>

Here's the above image with the "dodging" removed, and no sharpening. The moon is still burnt in a bit. Even here, the difference between Venus and Jupiter is less than on the screen in the raw converter--Jupiter is too bright. And the planets look a little mishapen, because there aren't enough pixels in the reduced web JPGs to define the shape accurately. The sharpening evidently rounded their rendition.
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/temp/P6210544+_2_+.jpg.html>

I dunno how the big-time astrophotographers do it. My object was to make a purty picture, rather than scientific accuracy, and I did the best I could.

--Peter