Re: [OM] IMG: celestial show (Eureka!)

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: celestial show (Eureka!)
From: Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 01:45:48 -0700
It turns out that I had not burnt in the planets in the June 20 "triangle" formation, as I had thought. I did that for the June 21 picture, but not for the 20th. So why the heck was Jupiter coming out almost as big and bright as Venus? I tried to get the planets displaying their size and brightness with reasonable accuracy. It wasn't easy. I had to turn off all sharpening, "clarity" (local contrast), and believe it or not, noise reduction. Only then did the web JPGs turn out as the image looked on the screen in Capture One. And then I had to mask and re-sharpen the moon a bit.

Here's the result:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/temp/P6200521+_7_+.jpg.html>

Here's the original processing:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/18391108174/in/dateposted-public/>

Lesson learned: Digital image editing is like quantum mechanics. When things get small enough, really weird stuff starts to happen. :-)

--Peter

Previously, I sez:
There is another phenomenon known by the archaic term "dodging," now known as brightening with masks. I must confess to doing it. I was trying to preserve some texture in the moon, and when I did, Jupiter became so dim that it could hardly be seen in the photo. When you have teeny objects of such diverse brighness, defined by only a few pixels each, it is difficult to get them all looking like they looked to the eye in a single exposure. Sorry if I overdid it. Jupiter actually appeared a little smaller and quite a bit dimmer than Venus.

    In this view:

<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/18425870393/in/dateposted-public/lightbox/>
I got the relationship between the two planets better, at the expense of grossly overexposing the moon. We won't even talk about the trees, but I kinda like the way this turned out, like a charcoal drawing. Even if it's Banding City. :-)

This one, taken the next night, shows the relationship better, but Jupiter is still a bit brighter than in reality. The planets are resolving to one, two or three pixels

<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/19040978812/in/dateposted-public/lightbox/>

Here's the above image with the "dodging" removed, and no sharpening. The moon is still burnt in a bit. Even here, the difference between Venus and Jupiter is less than on the screen in the raw converter--Jupiter is too bright. And the planets look a little mishapen, because there aren't enough pixels in the reduced web JPGs to define the shape accurately. The sharpening evidently rounded their rendition.
 <http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/temp/P6210544+_2_+.jpg.html>

I dunno how the big-time astrophotographers do it. My object was to make a purty picture, rather than scientific accuracy, and I did the best I could.

    --Peter