[OM] Sausage Making

Subject: [OM] Sausage Making
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 16:10:52 -0500
I realized that I may have been making a mistake. I posted a
comparative picture of an unedited photograph. In fact, I've done that
a couple of times. It is a mistake because in the making of art, the
process should not be known or visible. It takes the magic out of the
magic. It's like knowing the secret tricks of an illusionist.

However,

I will continue to do so because I believe that part of my reason for
existence is to teach and to share. I am not the only person in the
world who takes hundreds of thousands of really boring pictures. By
showing the before and after, and maybe giving a few clues as to what
I did and how I did it might help inspire others to do the same. I
think Moose does about the same for similar reasons.

Most of the time, my edits and efforts are hamfisted and frankly not
very good. But by continuing to shove pixels around, I eventually get
something to work well and all the half-successes are just steps on
the ladder to getting there.

I've also been posting a lot of stuff, lately, to judge interest in
what to display for sale. Pictures that aren't getting much attention
or shares will not be printed, but those that do will. Simple as that.

But I'm not telling the paying customer how I did it.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx