[OM] Lifetime Achievement Award for Phil Tarver

Subject: [OM] Lifetime Achievement Award for Phil Tarver
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 11:11:41 -0500
Good photographers do sometimes get the recognition they deserve. Phil Tarver was a young U.S. Navy aerial photographer in the South Pacific during WWII. After leaving the Navy, Phil was the first photographer hired at Arnold Engineering Development Center in 1954, charged with documenting the facilities and people of this new USAF ground test facility. His photographs with his trusty Nikon served to inform the public and government officials in Washington of the importance of the work being done here. His images were found on the cover of Aviation Week, and other influential publications, and won acclamation wherever they appeared. The images still grace the entry areas and conference rooms of the complex, and are as impressive today as when they were created.

Last night, at the annual AEDC Fellows Banquet, Phil was inducted as a Lifetime Achievement Fellow. While he was surrounded by well wishers, I was able to grab one snapshot. When I spoke with him for a few moments, he was complaining about the difficulty in obtaining film for his trusty cameras.

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Tarver+FM.tif.html

--
Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA