Re: [OM] Olympus 12mm is not 12mm?

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus 12mm is not 12mm?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 22:22:41 -0700
On 6/27/2015 10:08 PM, C.H.Ling wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Moose" <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>

It's good to be aware, as I can use DxO when I need it. OTOH, I don't think it much effects me, personally. As I discovered when looking for an example, I don't shoot at 12 mm very often, and with most of those, the small loss doesn't matter. 12 mm isn't wide enough for any broad landscapes. I'm usually carrying the tiny 9-18, and even that is mostly not wide enough for that, so I shoot stitched panoramas.

I don't shot landscapes much except the buildings for test shots ;-) For landscapes I think I may not need very wide, as you said stitching with shots from mid-to-tele might suit better in most cases. But I do like cityscapes and building interior, stitching is not always applicable. With the interior shots, a wider and faster lens is a better choice.

In the pass I use WA a lot for party events now it is mainly for street snap and family shots in tight spaces like restaurant. I like large aperture to separate the object and background. Even with the small 4/3 sensor, F2.8 will do much better than F4 or 5.6.

I'm just not willing to carry the size and weight of a lens like the Oly 7-14/2.8. It would just be an expensive paperweight. So the f4 of the tiny, light 9-18 just has to do for me.

I wonder if someone will make a faster 9 mm or less rectilinear prime for µ43
someday.

Make Do Moose

C.H.Ling