Re: [OM] Samsung 128GB MicroSDXC EVO+ Flash Card - With Adapter, Up To 8

Subject: Re: [OM] Samsung 128GB MicroSDXC EVO+ Flash Card - With Adapter, Up To 80MB/s Transfer Speed, Class 10, UHS-I - MB-MC128DA/AM at TigerDirect.com
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 10:24:42 -0700
On 6/29/2015 10:04 AM, Bill Pearce wrote:
Yours is a different approach. You are apparently shooting a lot more liberally than I. I have trouble filling an 8 gig card in one day. On an african safari, I used my D3 and either 2 or 4 gig cards and never filled more that two two's a day, always shooting raw + large jpeg. Just don't shoot that much.

Yes, and no. I do shoot a lot, by some standards, probably more than you. My peak year was 12,000, last year about 6,000. A lot depends on whether I visit new places or am revisiting, what I see to shoot, etc.

But I wouldn't fill an 8 GB card in a day. When in the field, I use two cameras at once (weighing together about 2/3 of a D3), so the days' shooting is spread between two cards. I have very broad focal length tastes, and an aversion to lots of lens changing.

With a 32 GB card, I can go many weeks of ordinary life without switching cards. 64 GB cards cover a month with heavy shooting on many days. I still dutifully download the new shots and back-up every night that I've shot more than a handful. I just put the cards back in the camera, rather than switching. I never depend on the cards alone for more than a day or a handful of shots.

Belt & Suspenders Moose