Re: [OM] Oh my goodness

Subject: Re: [OM] Oh my goodness
From: Bob Whitmire <fujixbob@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 09:15:39 -0400
Be sure to let just a smidgen of time pass before looking at them again.
Sometimes the initial enthusiasm is somewhat tempered. Not that you see
flaws, you just see the picture better. And, of course, your customer who
is blown out of his socks and digs for the credit card will undergo the
same process. You want to make sure his opinion doesn't change. <g>

Pricing is a sore point, or, before I retired, it _was_ a sore point. I
sold prints on metal and canvas. Metal were usually 16x24, unframed, and
canvas tended to be anywhere from 12x18 to 20x30, framed. The frustration
came from colleagues who had the same substrate but priced their images far
below mine. I had a talk with a friend with whom I shared a venue about
this, and she told me she had to price her work according to how all the
other photographers priced their work, because they shared many of the same
show venues.

I understand this point of view, but I don't like it. It's based on a
mass-production mentality. My metal and canvas prints were not mass
produced. I think the most I ever sold of one of my metal was three, and
with canvas, there were one-offs. Best price I got was $900 for a 20x30
framed canvas, sold with the understanding it would be the only canvas
print of that image.

I am avoiding specifics of comparisons between my work and hers, or theirs.

Good luck. Try to keep your stuff apart from the mass-production show crowd.

--Bob Whitmire
Certified Neanderthal