Re: [OM] Oh my goodness

Subject: Re: [OM] Oh my goodness
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2015 14:45:35 -0700
On 7/2/2015 9:05 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
Moose of the Landscape wrote:
I don't understand the foreground. Not anything wrong with it in itself, but
it's so bright and 'strong' that it
competes with the sky. My eyes don't know where to 'be'.
That partially explains why I didn't get it printed yet. The bright
foreground is much to the entire HDR effect and is actually pretty
consistent with the current aesthetic. Let's talk about the Open Gate
photo for a second.

Open Gate has the same brightness/contrast issues. Do I darken or
lighten the sky in relation to the foreground? Some say yes, some say
no, some say leave it alone. At issue is the "first glance subject"
vs. the "long term gaze subject". For an image to grab immedate
attention it has to have a clearly defined "subject" to drive the eye
to. However, pictures that have long-term staying power don't
overpower the viewer with the defined subject, but let the viewer
explore the picture and determine his/her own subject to look at.

Based on that, I'm not interested in lowering the foreground of the
picture in question. There is a lot of detail there for the eye to
explore and each person viewing it will see something in the image
that they think the picture is about. Does it create "competing
subjects?" Yes, to a certain extent for the "first glance" viewing.

I wasn't suggesting anything drastic. :-)
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/AG/Iowa_Sunset.htm>

I see what you are saying. And as someone known to occasionally actually purchase such things*, I think I can say that one would stay on the wall, even though I like most of it.

I do think it's quite different than Open Gate, where the gate is the primary subject, and properly has the most pizazz. The above alternate still has all that detail to discover over time. And I like the slightly mysterious look of it, but that's just me.

Ahhh, just looked again. I think the other thing that's bothering my eye is that most of the bottom is behind the little rise from the setting sun. The bright light on it is only possible in the field if there's a big white building behind you acting as reflector. As I roll back and forth, it's like someone is turning the Klieg lights off and on.

More Moose D'Opinion**

* Still dithering on that amazing, v. painterly, and v. different than your work, Pacific sunset from the guy in the Elk Co-op.

** While I'm at it, don't think I didn't notice the horizon halos. ;-) Not that you are alone. I was just a couple of weeks ago looking at prints from a quite talented Mendocino area landscape photographer - wonderful wildlife, too - and sure enough, nice bright band on the horizon of one. Maybe we will all get used to them.