Re: [OM] OT: Internet Saturation

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Internet Saturation
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2015 14:32:57 +0930
...and fear and uncertainty, but mostly laziness - is the reason we
haven't already... :)

It's something that should have happened some time ago, but for many
it's a disaster waiting to happen. Most user "security" is a result of
the private-to-public network address translation  (NAT - more correctly
PAT: port address translation) in their modem/router/gateway.

Once IPv6 becomes the mandatory standard, every connection theoretically
gets a unique address block  of their own and then all of their devices
have a globally unique address and are thus visible to the internet.
NAT/PAT is no longer necessary (or desirable - as it becomes an added
complication) and without proper firewalling, many users will become
vulnerable to outside attack.

davidt