Re: [OM] OT: Internet Saturation

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Internet Saturation
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2015 09:14:07 -0700
  Today, we're at the blazing speed of 1.31 Mbps...
3.5Mbps here at the end of 15000' of funky 19th Centurylink wire. Finally did replace my garage sale free box wifi router, an ancient Dlink 624 that we've been using for many years. (it only needed new firmware) The new TPlink router is not the huge improvement for which I was hoping.
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/884838-REG/TP_Link_tl_wdr3600_N600_Wireless_Dual_Band.html>
Also added a new modem as I was continually having to reset the equally ancient Zoom.
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/accessories.jsp/sku/745736/is/REG>

This little gadget takes care of the hard to reach parts of the house and allows me to sit out in the cool yard in the morning and drink my coffee like right now before it gets even hotter today than yesterday.
<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315145>

An interesting development here is that our local coop Orcas Power & Light bought out the local ISP and they are going to town burying fiber to compete with 19th Century Link. We won't get fiber here as the cost/house doesn't pencil out but we may get long range wifi like Piers. 10Mbps would be good.

Mike