Re: [OM] PESO: bad photo? - just print it big

Subject: Re: [OM] PESO: bad photo? - just print it big
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2015 11:05:14 -0500
> I’m afraid that I don’t get jazz.  I’ve listened to many pieces by several
> famous and well-regarded artists and neither understand nor like jazz any
> better.

It depends on so many factors. My daughters have been involved in
high-school jazz competition for the past four years or so. I will
admit that about 3/4 of the songs leave me cold, but it's that 1/4 you
live for. When they nail it, it's a thing of beauty. I'm not slamming
the bands themselves, but the music itself is a yawner.

DD#1 is heading off to college and the college she's going to doesn't
have a jazz band. She's a little bummed about that, but she's looking
forward to playing bass in other style bands. DD#2 has one year left
of high-school and will likely participate in all the state and
regional invitationals as she's one of the best jazz piano players in
the state right now on the high-school level. They both were involved
in the state invitational this year and got major solo parts on
extremely complex pieces.

But that bands that compete in high-school and college follow the "big
band" style of instrumentation and presentation. Professional jazz
bands are usually small 5-piece type of club performers that are
extremely talented musicians playing horrible music.

Or some variation of the Grateful Dead.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx