Re: [OM] Monitor Calibration Rabbit Hole (This is very much On Topic)

Subject: Re: [OM] Monitor Calibration Rabbit Hole (This is very much On Topic)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2015 16:05:48 -0700
On 7/11/2015 8:13 AM, Bob Whitmire wrote:
Oh, how I love to go tumbling down unseen rabbit holes when messing around
with computers. This is provided as a public service to any procrastinators
on the list who have gone through several hardware upgrades while clinging
to elderly calibration technology. <g>

All very painful, and a bit familiar. I was using Monaco OPTIX ZR Pro for years, but there is no 64 bit driver for Win7. I diddled, searched, and fiddled, with no luck. I could likely get it going in the XT virtual machine, but to no practical use.

I've been of the opinion that my 24" Dell has good color out of the box, but I've been stewing. Also, I have never been happy with setting brightness, which the old hardware/software didn't really address. Sometimes it has seemed that various images posted here aren't the right brightness on my screen.

Recently, one of B&H's daily specials was x-rite's colormunki* calibration system, just the day before a $30 rebate was to expire. I bit.

It does all the old one did, with a better UI, AND measures room illumination,
which I've always wanted.

It has a before and after comparison feature, too, which I like. Interestingly, I was right about color, the changes from uncalibrated are at most very subtle. The odd thing is that it lowered brightness slightly, which I had not expected.

So I guess I spent $90 not to change the colors I see on the screen, but to
feel good about them. :-)

Accurately Colorful Moose

* They have gone from a long pompous name with lots of caps to short and cute (cutesy) in all lower case. I'm not sure what that may mean. :-)

Out of the blue it struck me that Spectraview uses i1. The newer
Spectraview-equipped monitors use the same puck as the X-rite i1 Display
Pro.

I can't see immediately what the difference is between that puck and the colormunki one, other than styling. It might be nice if they spelled out the differences between similar products on their web site.

For an additional $50, I could buy the whole calibration kit and
calibrate my MacBook Pro 17" monitor, and this wee 13" MacBook Air monitor
as well. Calibration bliss for only $248, with free shipping from Amazon
Prime.

Looks to me like the colormunki does what you need for less money?

Colour Me Confused