Re: [OM] Monitor Calibration Rabbit Hole (This is very much, On Topic)

Subject: Re: [OM] Monitor Calibration Rabbit Hole (This is very much, On Topic)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2015 12:52:06 -0700
On 7/12/2015 8:55 AM, Mike Lazzari wrote:
Monaco OPTIX ZR Pro for years, but there is no 64 bit driver for Win7. .....Recently, one of B&H's daily specials was x-rite's colormunki* calibration system, just the day before a $30 rebate was to expire. I bit......measures room illumination, which I've always wanted.

I almost pushed that button but resisted. I must have the same old Monaco xrite as you do/did. I didn't for a few reasons:

-house renovations in progress $$$. Rather buy glass.

Makes sense. An image of George Eastman's 'Observatory Room' on TOP today reminded me a bit of your living room. Are you adding an elephant head?

-the value added just wasn't there. Measures room illumination is nice but unnecessary for me. Besides, RI is constantly changing. I would be switching profiles all the time. Could have used a "smoke" profile lately though. :)

You misunderstand. The colormunki sensor may be left on your work surface and connected. It then reads ambient light regularly and adjusts the display as light changes. Not important in my 'cave'.

-better UI? Maybe but the old one is fine.

Sure.

-64-bit driver? 32-bit works fine for now. Maybe not in Win10?

Couldn't get it to work on my 64 bit system. Many others with the same problem on the web. At least one claimed to have beat it, but I couldn't duplicate.

-perhaps more importantly modern IPS monitors are pretty well calibrated right out of the box unlike CRT and TN panels.

Certainly true of mine.

Nor do they change much over time. After reducing brightness to 30%
on my hp ZR2440w I could hardly see any difference. It has hardly changed. I get a bigger difference depending upon where on the screen I place the puck. -the profiles available on TFTcentral were nearly identical to what I came up with. I would feel comfortable just using those.

-and I just don't need a super color critical monitor. Mine is close enough for the printing I do. And when I view my photos on-line on OP's monitors the color is off anyway.

Just one less thing to fret about, for me. I post a lot of images. I like knowing (or at least feeling) that any off colors others see are not down to me. :-)

Possible bonuses: If I ever get back to printing, it has a printer profiling
function. I can be used to profile projectors.

Colorfully Accurate Moose