Re: [OM] IMG: Ladder-backed Woodpecker?

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Ladder-backed Woodpecker?
From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2015 08:43:24 -0700
G'Mornin' Jim!

 From the Stokes "Field Guide to Birds" (Western ed.) the markings on your bird
match those of the Gila Woodpecker (melanerpes uropygialis) to a "T"...
including the red patch, white breast and the darker, tan-ish patch by the base
of the beak. However, it's range is listed as being Mexico, Southern Cal. &
western Arizona.   However, Tennessee is warm enough, that some may have
migrated.  It happens.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Nice catch!

David.

--
David Young - Photographer
Logan Lake,BC, CANADA

> These woodpeckers have been around our area for a number of years, and I
> have referred to them as Ladder-backed Woodpeckers.  However, the
> reference books show the range of the Ladder-backed to be the
> southwestern US and Mexico.  I can't find a better match of these markings.
>
> Anyone got a better idea?
>
> http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Ladder-Backed+Woodpecker.TIFF.html
>
> X-E1 with Leica Telyt-R 250/4, 2X Extender, ISO 400, 1/40 at f/8, RAW,
> Tripod
>
> Comments and critiques welcomed and appreciated.
>
> --
> Jim Nichols
> Tullahoma, TN USA

---