Re: [OM] IMG: Ladder-backed Woodpecker?

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Ladder-backed Woodpecker?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2015 21:26:41 -0700
On 7/26/2015 9:14 AM, Jim Nichols wrote:
Thanks, David. That sounds like what my references identify as a Ladder-backed Woodpecker, same markings, same range. That is the name I have always used, apparently incorrectly. Others have identified it as the Red-Bellied Woodpecker, which is common east of the Mississippi River. I have had this same input from listers in Maryland and North Carolina, where it is also found.

I am about to post a better quality image, which I failed to discover from
yesterday's shoot.  It gives better details.

I dropped that one into the Cornell Lab Merlin ID site, and it agrees with
Red-Bellied Woodpecker.

That's a darn useful site - thanks for the link, Chuck!

More Birds Moose