Re: [OM] Moose's bag; still good?

Subject: Re: [OM] Moose's bag; still good?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2015 22:23:30 -0700
On 7/26/2015 7:56 AM, ChrisB wrote:
For Moose, but also for anyone else interested:

I’m still looking at camera bags that remain useful for other stuff and which
you can just sling over a shoulder etc . . . Moose told us that he had a great
experience at his local camera shop and had come away with a Lowepro Passport Sling
III.

I don't recall how clear I was before. I bought the bag to keep a full kit of two OMDs, one with 12-50 and one with 75-300 and some batteries and cards, in one easily carried, reasonably small, light bag. If I wish to go out 'serious' shooting, I can grab the one bag and head out, without picking a bag, going through the drawers, etc. putting together a kit. If I think I'll need primes, wider angle, extension tubes, flash, and so forth, there's a second bag all packed, ready to go.

Once ready to get shooting, the cameras come out of the bag and go around my neck, batteries and cards go in a pocket, in those little bags Chuck and I talked about. So it's really a transport bag, not a working bag. I go without a working bag unless I carry the "all the other lenses and stuff bag" too. I really find that I get more, better shots with the minimum gear actually necessary and no extraneous bag.

I also have smaller, less serious kits for other times and places, but ended up
using only the 'big guns' on this last trip.

I used it this last week on a pretty heavy photography trip, 938 stills, 32 videos in five days.. Sitting in an open plastic container behind the passenger seat of our Turtle (small caravan), along with lots of other 'current' stuff, it worked well for my purposes. I could lean over and grab a camera out with one hand to shoot from the window or jump out for a quick shot or several.

The camera insert is slightly tapered. It would work more easily for me if it were all the widest it gets. Still, the best I've ever had for this rather specific use. One other thing that's important to me is that it's light, while providing reasonable protection. A lot of other/older bag designs are already heavy before one puts anything in them.

I have been looking at that repeatedly in the intervening weeks, but have noticed the Crumpler Doozie as well
<http://www.crumpler.eu/index.cfm?seite=photo-sling-bags&Doozie-Photo-Sling&sprache=EN&productID=9329

<http://www.crumpler.eu/index.cfm?seite=photo-sling-bags&Doozie-Photo-Sling&sprache=EN&productID=9329>>

Looks like a similar, recent, light design. I would have to try it to see if it fit my cameras, and that's not likely anytime soon, as the US line of bags is entirely different. I already tried spending too much time measuring, only to end up with a bag that didn't quite fit the gear.

in addition to the yet-to-be-manufactured Peak Design Everyday Messenger
<https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/peak-design/the-everyday-messenger-a-bag-for-cameras-and-essen?ref=checkout_share

<https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/peak-design/the-everyday-messenger-a-bag-for-cameras-and-essen?ref=checkout_share>>

This looks like a very fine bag design. They really have tried to rethink all aspects. The latch makes the famous Domke snap look like the crap it is. If I were looking for a shooting bag, to hang over my shoulder so I could grab stuff and put it back, this could be a real contender. But after many years, after trying various back/sling/waist/etc. bags, I've given up on the working bag approach. I spend so much less time handling gear with the set-up I have. If it rains, it rains, as it did recently while we were quite a ways away from shelter. I held the camera with 75-300 under my coat and the one with 12-50 mounted is rain proof. The hoods keep it off the lens, and I can keep shooting.

So, is Moose still happy with his choice of bag?  It is the cheapest of the
choices above and Lowepro quality is not really in question, but I hate making
the obvious choice :-)

Yes, I still like it. I've not yet used it in a situation where I would carry it to and from some place, use the cameras while there, then use it to carry them back. It does seem as though it will work fine for that.

I hope the above is of some help, as explication of my criteria and how it
meets them.

Bags Moose