Re: [OM] Toyota Mirai

Subject: Re: [OM] Toyota Mirai
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 11:50:39 -0500
> Yeah, where I live it's really a matter of transferring the emissions.  What
> is worse, emissions from a car burning hydrocarbon fuel of generating
> electricity using brown coal, using it to produce hydrogen to produce
> electricity to power a vehicle ?  Personally I think the principle used in
> the Prius makes more sense.

As an owner of a Prius, I would agree. Of all the hybrid systems out
there, the Prius remains the gold standard. For one thing, the battery
packs don't die after five years like the Lithium based ones do. The
pack is a little heavier, but only marginally so because the housings
for the Lithium batteries weigh more. Weight increase doesn't always
mean lower mileage. The way the regenerative system works, braking and
coasting recharges the battery. The more mass you are trying to stop,
the more electricity is produced. As long as you aren't face-planting
the brake peddle, a large percentage of your braking is done by the
generator. Ours is a second-generation 2009, and we get around 50 mpg
in the summer, and about 46 mpg as our year-round average.

We did have to replace the battery--the 12vdc battery, not the traction battery.

AG

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx