Re: [OM] University of New Hampshire Bias Free Language Guide

Subject: Re: [OM] University of New Hampshire Bias Free Language Guide
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2015 11:46:18 -0700
On 8/1/2015 7:21 AM, Scott Gomez wrote:
One is as free to say what one likes as one wants, as long as one is
willing to accept the consequences of that speech.

But that was not the case in Berkeley before the early 60s. The whole thing started because campus police were rousting advocates with card tables, even those set up on public sidewalks (wide, not blocking) adjacent to the campus, confiscating materials, destroying property, roughing up and sometimes arresting both those people and soap boxers.

So what you say is a big improvement on the situation before the FSM. One was not then free "to say what one likes as one wants" back then. People who did so on the wrong topics on in the wrong way were silenced and/or carted away. Speech was not free then, and the consequences were more draconian that they are today.

I did not experience it , but understood the situation to be even more oppressive elsewhere. Kent State comes to mind. (I have a friend who is professor of Video there now.)

It seems that the material posted on the UNH web site that started this thread is an example of free speech not in line with official University positions.

Mouthy Moose