[OM] New Flutterbys +Flutterby Kits [was B'fly count at Appleton Farm &

Subject: [OM] New Flutterbys +Flutterby Kits [was B'fly count at Appleton Farm & Hard life of a caterpillar]
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2015 19:20:32 -0400
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
Nice shots!  Blues, Coppers and Hairstreaks are all in the same family and some
of the prettiest to photograph, IMO,  but they can be tough as they are small.
I think you nailed the ID of the Silvery Blue.  Northern Silvery Blues were not
known in MA until the early 90's and I don't see them too often around here.
They are waaay done flying around here but makes sense you saw them at
elevation.

  I am not sure what your other B'fly  is.  Blues can be tough in unfamiliar
locations.  I spent an hour on an ID on a  Blue in the Peloponnese and finally
got it  by the exact location and behavior more than field marks. There is
often a sexual dimorphism in coloration and  the brown topside would be a  tip
off the critter as a señorita.  Lupine Blue and Acmon blue look at candidates,
but am not 100% happy with either.

It  appears the Oly 75-300 was used.  A long zoom stopped down seems to work
well as the background is quite restricted and keeps it from getting too busy
in many situations yet can have adequate dof.
That lens doesn't have super resolution at the long end, but Moose is very very
good at getting the most out of it.  I think the butterfliers with the highest
percent keepers last outing had the lens reviewed below on some extension. (2
had the same kit)  It focuses  quite close and goes to 1:2 with 25mm extension.
 It is quite a bit to haul around along with the twin flashes  on it  and
pricey,  but the results were nice.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-100-400mm-f-4.5-5.6-L-IS-II-USM-Lens.aspx

Perhaps this number for MFT:

http://news.panasonic.co.uk/pressreleases/new-leica-lens-for-micro-four-thirds-system-under-development-the-first-leica-dg-zoom-lens-in-the-lineup-1-1192891

A bit Blue couldn't nail the ID, but will work on it if get more time, Mike