Re: [OM] OT: iphone battery replacement

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: iphone battery replacement
From: Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 22:50:24 -0700
Thanks, Moose. I should had mentioned that I'd already checked that. I'm not on the list of eligible serial numbers.

According to further research, Apple stores do a battery replacement for about $80. There is some difference of opinion as to whether they do it to your own phone, or give you a refurb. The places here in Seattle will replace a battery for ~$50. The kits on Amazon are between about $10 and $30, plus some more expensive ones that are discounted on Prime and appear physically identical to the $20-$30 kits.

I've seen the online instructions, and I'm confident about my ability to replace the battery. But if I'm going to take my phone apart, which involves removing and replacing the glass screen, I want to do it only once. So I don't want to risk getting an old battery masquerading as new. It's hard to tell from "customer reviews" whether a given person genuinely received a bad battery, or couldn't do the replacement properly and is now blaming the seller.

--Peter