Re: [OM] University of New Hampshire Bias Free Language Guide

Subject: Re: [OM] University of New Hampshire Bias Free Language Guide
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2015 09:38:16 -0700
You may be more likely to be pickpocketed in Spain, but you are MUCH more like
to be murdered in the USA:
Ahhh...data. We are data-rich but it is difficult for us hu-mans and womans to decipher. Faulty statistical analysis is perhaps the main reason scientific papers fail to pass muster....(gotta check the data on that ;) ). When we look at big disaster/crime data we tend to look at the big charismatic mega-fauna events. News media even give them cute names.The insurance bean/bit counters have a name for this which escapes me now. Basically the event rarely happens but when it does the shit really hits the fan. That's how they make their money and if the public thinks it happens more than it actually does....ca-chink, ca-chink.

The key is to parse the data for what is germane to the immediate situation. Now translate this to travel. Looking at the US murder rate a few things may (check the data) stand out. a) the victim is known to the perp in most cases, b) a very small group trying to off each other. The chances of getting caught in the line of fire is vanishingly tiny.

So what data should we be checking out which may adversely affect our trip? If I were going to Spain and places in Latin America or any city for that matter, taking measures to safeguard valuables on your person would be more prudent than say in Scotland outside the big city. Would I walk around at night in certain areas of New Orleans or Glasgow with a camera around my neck? Depends upon how lucky I felt. :)

Mike