Re: [OM] OT: iphone battery replacement

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: iphone battery replacement
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2015 17:51:25 -0400
I've had no reason to get inside our Android phones but a couple of weeks ago my Google Nexus 7 (7" tablet) was refusing to boot and apparently not accepting a battery charge. A little bit of Googling showed it that it might be due to a little bit of computer confusion where the battery charge was too low to allow the charging logic to take hold. Unclear how that happens.

The solution is to open the machine (small screwdriver makes quick work of the clamshell covers), remove the battery (held in place with double stick tape) unplug it from the the device's charging circuit and then direct wire a USB plug's positive and negative wires to the battery.

Making the connections required sticking a couple of straight pins into the connectors on the battery, sacrificing an old USB plug and cable and soldering some alligator clips to the wires so they could attach to the straight pins.

A few hours on the USB charger (unregulated by the computer's charging circuit) apparently fixed everything. Everything popped back together in a few minutes and it booted and has been up and running normally now for several weeks. Battery is now about 3 years old.

Chuck Norcutt