Re: [OM] [OT] Win10 anyone?

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Win10 anyone?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2015 15:48:12 -0700
On 8/8/2015 1:07 AM, Jez Cunningham wrote:
Anyone tried Win10 yet?

I'm on the list, but don't think I will be upgrading any time soon. I didn't realize that Win10 drops the virtual XP box option.

My only, occasional client for consulting is my old employer. The app I support is now ancient, and uses a 16 bit development environment. I could give it up without much loss, although the mad money can help support my photography GAS. It can output 32 bit .exes that run fine under Win7/64.

But it's something I developed myself, from scratch, completely outside of IS that after so many years has not just survived a corporate takeover, but worked its way into the acquiring company for use by top management. (Hee, hee, hee.)

It would seem churlish to abandon my baby, now young adult, now, in its moment
of triumph. :-)

So I need and XP machine or environment. The virtual one in Win7Pro is so solid, reliable and trouble free, an actual full XP install in a box, that I hesitate to try anything else.

I must say I like Win7.

As do I. The reviews of 10 I've read seem to say that it's mostly a return of the 7 UI with touch capability and a few improvements and add-ons that don't seem important, or even useful, to me.

I think MS offering the free upgrade is proof of how poorly 8 has succeeded. I imagine they have nightmares of 7 becoming like XP, the version that won't die.

Seven Come Eleven Moose