Re: [OM] IMG: Optimized Super Cub

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Optimized Super Cub
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2015 09:03:12 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>Does your horizon have the large caging knob?  I had to install one of
>those in a Tripacer that our flying club owned.

     Yes.  Caging a suction-operated artificial horizon can be a lot of fun
with a tail-dragger.  You have to lift the tailwheel off the ground during
takeoff and then do it while level.

>I also installed a 4-inch venturi on a Cub, to drive a turn and bank
>indicator, when the FAA decreed that all students had to get primary
>panel experience.  At Cub speeds, it required a 4-inch to be able to get
>2 inches at the instrument.

     Good thing that they decreed that.  My instructor would put me under a
canvas hood every so often, and he had the "Blue Meanie" cover where he would
cover one instrument or another and then tell you to fly it as is.  His
favourite was to cover the artificial horizon as that one was critical.  I did
that in the T-37 simulators during UPT, and to make a long story very short I
won a case of beer by way of a secret wager that I couldn't fly the real thing
straight and level for one minute.  Did the entire instrument series and didn't
miss a beat, including a VOR approach.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson