Re: [OM] IMG: Optimized Super Cub

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Optimized Super Cub
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2015 11:33:14 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>I thought that you flew the C-130J, Chris.  The Brit version of that had a
>large HUD; a colleague of
>mine was one of the early RAF pilots, so I heard plenty of stories about the
>new machine (whether or
>not I wanted to :-))

     I haven't even seen a C-130J in first person yet, and I'm very pleased to
now hear that HSI was added.  They were many years after my time.  I did get to
fly a number of C-130H direct from the factory.  They were delivered with the
AOA (angle of Attack) circuit breakers pulled and disabled with wire-ties.
Pretty worthless piece of equipment.

>I flew ADF procedures only during training on the Hunter, which had no other
>navigation aid.
>Fortunately, the instrument rating did not include anything to do with the ADF
>as no other FJ aircraft
>was so equipped.  Our instrument rating test consisted of a precision approach
>and a non-precision
>approach, one of which had to be limited panel (emergency compass and Turn and
>Slip, no horizon or
>main compass).

     With high-speed aircraft such as the Hunter making a mistake on an ADF
approach could get you into serious trouble in a big hurry.  Of course, when
that plane was first produced (1950s?) things were not quite as sophisticated.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson