[OM] Well, that was fun.

Subject: [OM] Well, that was fun.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2015 15:21:48 -0700
We went for our Toyota Mirai dog and pony show yesterday. They really put on a good show. When we arrived, we were offered snacks by a caterer, sparkling water or apple cider in big wine stems, delicious mini eclairs, vegetable ceviche in martini glasses and lovely looking macaroons. They even had free parking in the closest underground garage.

The live and video presentation was well done - and brief. Then off to drive one! They only had three, so not very many people got to drive one this weekend. I wondered how I got on that list. I did once own a used mid '80s Toyota pickup. :-) Our current cars are '95 and '96. Even our "new" little RV is an '08 conversion of an '07 Sprinter. Hardly leading edge vehicle consumers. Carol speculated it was through my broker, an old friend who was bosom buddies with my late wife and is now a Sr. VP at Merrill Lynch*.

Anyway, the drive. They were taking people up the hill toward where I live, to 'an observatory', the guy said. I guessed it must be the Lawrence Hall of Science, as there is no public observatory up there, and headed up a different way, so as to go by my house. The guy was very cool, and I had a little low key fun zooming up the windy streets. Taking a right turn on to the steepest straight couple of blocks, it jumped forward, stumbling only a tiny bit, as front wheel drive cars tend to when suddenly pushed both up and in a tight turn, and shot up the hill with lots of oomph.

Not a sports car, but quite nice both going up and later going down a fast, windy street. He was starting to get a little edgy about time as we came down to the Hall of Science, and no, that's not where they meant. Oh well, I assured him there was a quick way down, and we were only a couple of minutes behind those who had had the less fun and scenic trip. He asked the name of the street we had taken down, as he though it was a great demo street for up, steep, windy and scenic.

The car is very nicely done inside, certainly nicer than any Prius I've been in, a cross between Lexus and Toyota, according to our guy. Very nice ride, but still good road feel and sense of precision in steering. If they had a recording of an engine and tranny under the hood, I would guess most drivers would just think they were driving a mid level luxury sedan. As to looks, it seems Toyota has opted, as with the Prius to try to make it stand out as different. It looks pretty ugly in pics. In person, it's odd at first, but I think pretty ordinary after not long.

I would take one in a second, based on driving experience alone. But the economics don't make much sense for us. Carol is out and about most days, but never far, so she only rolls up about maybe 7,000 miles a year. At $3,6xx upfront and $500/mo. for a lease and high registration fees, that's pretty expensive per mile. the also are picking up the fuel tab for the first three years, but again, that's not that big a spiff for us.

Fuel supply is an issue, too. They are busily trying to build decent coverage in the SF and LA areas, with a station being developed half way, so one could get from one area to the other and one in San Diego. There does seem to be deep confusion about our immediate area. In the presentation and questioning our guide, there is nothing less than half an hour+ away. The Calif. Fuel Cell Partnership is inconsistent, showing a picture of a car at a nice fueling station at the AC Transit Bus depot in Emeryville, 10-15 minutes away, then says it is bus only - on one page, and that it's open to cars on another. The Feds alternative fuels site says it's for cars, too and the AC transit site says open to the public, as well. So, public spirited individual that I am, I called the Toyota event concierge and told them about all this. Think they'll give me a long term loaner Mirai?

The buy option starts at $57,500. The State then kicks in $5,000 and Toyota $7,500 and no interest financing. But ~9% sales tax and registration fees still apply. I guess if we kept it for as long as our present cars, it wouldn't be too bad.

Then again, we might not qualify. To buy one, perhaps as soon as next July :-)
, one must apply and then pass an interview.

Bleeding Edge Moose

* It's the old friendship connection that keeps me on her client list. I would like to have the kind of portfolio that would otherwise qualify me. :-)