Re: [OM] Well, that was fun.

Subject: Re: [OM] Well, that was fun.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2015 16:46:00 -0700
On 8/9/2015 4:17 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
Thanks for the "first look/drive", Moose.

I thought you might find it interesting. :-)

After the rebates, it's $45,000 and some free fuel for 36 months.
That's NOT BAD for a vehicle of that class. I wouldn't do the lease,
but do a straight buy and then sell it in one year. Or keep it till
the wheels fall off. I would go ahead and get the first one off the
boat that you can, and sell it right when the peak demand is such that
you can make $5000 off of it.

That said, it's running up against the Tesla, which is a very high
quality vehicle

But the Tesla is old news! There's one just up the block.

and also the new BMW hybrids. Personally, I'll stay focused on hybrids and
diesels.

As a practical matter, that's what we should do. Well, other than keep the '95 Protege until the wheels fall off* or engine packs it in. Only about 65,000 miles on it, as I recall. Far the cheapest, and most environmentally friendly, option.

All our long distance road travel is diesel already.

I know you've been a big exponent of the Prius 'old' battery tech. The Toyota guy yesterday said they are using various battery types in their hybrids. The Mirai uses a controller and battery type from an RX something, I think. What's your take on the BMWs that makes you prefer them to others?

* We have a friend who literally had that happen to her old Subaru Outback. Lug bolts sheared off and the wheel went off on its own. Barely enough bolt left to borrow nuts from the other wheels and get the short way home. Apparently, while not common, more so with Subarus than other cars. EEK!

Oh, and an attempt to score a 1991 RX7 convertible.

My '95 Olds convertible continues to please me. I won't race you, but I'll out
pleasure cruise you. :-)

Open Topped Moose