Re: [OM] How to protect yourself from Windows 10

Subject: Re: [OM] How to protect yourself from Windows 10
From: Lawrence Plummer <plummerl@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2015 09:41:58 -0700

>This article provides in-depth coverage of Windows 10 personal privacy
>problems.  It's unfortunate that this article is needed... and you will
>need it.  Without it there's no simple or obvious way to defeat
>Microsoft's invasive default privacy settings.  The very first lesson is
>never select "Express Install" for Windows 10.

Chuck, this Slate piece has been highly criticized for some misleading
information. Right off the bat, his quote of the EULA is extremely misleading.
He inserts a period, in the front of a very specific set of circumstances that
his quote applies to.

"Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your
content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or
files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is
necessary to: 1.comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process,
including from law enforcement or other government agencies; 2.protect our
customers, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud users of the
services, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury of anyone;
3.operate and maintain the security of our services, including to prevent or
stop an attack on our computer systems or networks; or 4.protect the rights or
property of Microsoft, including enforcing the terms governing the use of the
services – however, if we receive information indicating that someone is using
our services to traffic in stolen intellectual or physical property of
Microsoft, we will not inspect a customer’s private content ourselves, but we
may refer the matter to law enforcement."

Read the comments to the article. Also see this alternate view of Win10:

https://www.petri.com/windows-10-privacy-concerns-are-overblown-but-perception-matters

larry