Re: [OM] IMG: Globe/Temco Swifts

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Globe/Temco Swifts
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 14:51:49 -0500
Thanks, Chris. The possibility of decreasing drag and increasing speed has led a lot of Swift owners to consider closing the slots, but, from what I have read, no one has reported on that single modification alone. They all go ahead and increase horsepower and streamline the cowl at the same time. As I mentioned earlier, most "experts" feel that, unless one has raised the speed considerably, there is likely to be little speed recovered from removing the slots. These same folks didn't report much difference in stall characteristics, either, but I find that hard to swallow.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA