Re: [OM] Crummy color conundrum

Subject: Re: [OM] Crummy color conundrum
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 21:34:02 -0500
I had a Win 7 Intel Graphics Adapter update fail to install in two attempts this morning, as a part of the new Win 7 Update release. Maybe I'm lucky it didn't install. My son says it won't install because Dell used a slightly non-standard adapter, and the update only works for the standard adapter. Just my 2 cents.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA

A windows update fouled up my Huey Pro software yet again.  I had not noticed
as it launched as scheduled and seemed to do its thing but noticed little
change in the screen which is not that typical.  Then went to view an image
prior to upload and post--ughhh!!  I couldn't have been that bad at PP.
Winders picture and fax viewer was the worst--this was
not subtle.  Curiously FastStone depicted images almost spot on but even
Photoshop was a tad  off.  The machine was rendered essentially useless for
photo editing.  I clearly don't understand how windows/FastStone handle color.
If I searched out color management in the search box it saw the Huey Pro
profile.  No clue how it could be so horridly off.

  I have run into this 3 other times and have the reinstall program on the
desktop.  It usually fixes it after a uninstall/reinstall/ reboot--no luck this
time.  I noticed that Pantone software from  a Lenovo W530 will kinda work with
the keyboard mounted calibrator even with this model.  As a Hail Moses pass I
installed a couple more new updates, one of which had LCD in its name and did
the uninstall/reinstall routine.  As it was after midnight I quit.  Reboot
today and it worked--Phew.  Wonder what others use as external calibrators as
that is another possible work around?

As an aside I could not log onto to any EMR which I thought was likely due to
the Citrix receiver.  I did the usual uninstall (have to reboot to completely
remove it) and downloaded the version the one place likes--no joy.
Called tech support and said to have the add-on as" always activate" which I had already
done after a web search and then do the same again.  After burning more time with him, no luck.
Perhaps "get a new one." Haruumph.   I then ignored him and downloaded the latest  Citrix
version and that fixed it for all facilities.  Phew.

So little to post and no photos geo-tagged from last trip and behind at work
but at least back to baseline, I think.  Will be nervous about windoze updates
next time though. Careful out there.

Wheel-spinning,  Mike