Re: [OM] OK, tripod opinion time.

Subject: Re: [OM] OK, tripod opinion time.
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 11:23:22 -0500
As with the others, I would probably not take a tripod on the cruise
for the cruise itself. However, one of those really dinky tripod
dohickies that fit inside of a camera bag? Absolutely. They are
fantastic as you can use them to set up a camera on a table or
something. They are pocket sized and simply wonderful for the odd time
you need an option like that.

Where a real tripod comes in handy is at the end of the cruise if you
take a day or two and go explore in a rental car before catching the
return flight back to the lower-48.

But seriously, you just need something small and pocketable as you can
always find something tall to prop it up on.

Every ship has one common trait which ruins your tripod pictures. It
isn't the gentle rolling motion as cruise ships have really good
stability systems, but it's the vibration from the engines and
propellers. They keep getting better all the time--especially the ones
with the electric-drive pod systems. The hull will also hum in some
conditions.

I'm with Chris on this one. Other than the Inside Passage, there isn't
a cruise that interests me in any way, shape or form. And if I DID go
on a cruise, I'd seek out the very smallest ship available. There are
private charters that I would consider for the Inside Passage.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx